[syslinux] Problem with Symantec's UNDI driver and PXELINUX

Brian H. Nelson bnelson at cis.ysu.edu
Thu Jan 22 17:08:17 PST 2009

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> You didn't say if you had a discrete NIC in your test setup.  If you do,
> then this is a bigger concern to me.

No. These are 200 and some odd Dells with onboard LAN. Models are
Optiplex GX260, 280, 520, 620, Precision 360,390, T3440. The older ones
have Intel pro1000, newer ones have Broadcom BCM57xx.

> I did want you do understand what you're asking of me: you're asking for
> help with a commercial piece of software which I have never even heard
> of and don't have access to, which attempts to do something that the
> specifications doesn't support.  *Anything* could have changed the way
> it behaves, including bugfixes!  There are 184 changes from 3.63 to
> 3.70, and just plain guessing is going to be pointless.
>
> If you really want to track this down, then the best way would be to do
> a "git bisect" to track it down to a specific commit, and the
> second-best way would be to at least narrow it down to a specific
> Testing release.

I understand completely. I wasn't trying to just dump it at your feet
and demand a fix. I apologize if I came off as such. It was more along
the lines of 'maybe somebody who is familiar with the code will have an
idea on why this broke.'

Either way. I was bored today so I fumbled through git and eventually
found the offending commit:

[d2b359675d1b438c6409cc735494d5ec26c8a44c] Revamp runkernel.inc for
"lengthless" operation

though I don't know how much that will help.

Thanks,
-Brian

Brian H. Nelson         Youngstown State University
System Administrator   Media and Academic Computing
              bnelson[at]cis.ysu.edu