[syslinux] Dell Optiplex GX620 keyboard problem

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 26 11:21:39 PST 2009

JOURDAIN Joris 031398 NEURONES wrote:

> BTW, Is that nice vesamenu.c32 stuff a so called "com32 program or
> something that switches to protected mode such as memdisk" ?
> Because if it is, then I know that it's where my problem comes from :
> we use it.

Yes, all .c32 programs are.

The reason he listed 3.62 is that as of version 3.62, syslinux *always*
goes into protected mode -- this was necessary to support unlimited
labels.  Hence for newer versions, this affects everyone, not just
people who use the menu system.

> I had noticed on another boot server I manage, but on which the menu
> isn't used, that I couldn't reproduce this keyboard problem (although
> syslinux version is also  3.31-4 from debain etch) which leads me to
> the conclusion that it's indeed related to the menu.
>
> I'll try to upgrade syslinux to the "3.71+dfsg-5" from testing, and if
> it still doesn't work, I guess I'll have to give up this nice menu ;-(

Again, as far as I know, it was fixed in 3.70.  If it *isn't*, I
*really* want to know!