[syslinux] Using syslinux on the PMBR of a GPT partition table

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Mon Jan 26 13:12:58 PST 2009

On 1/25/09 9:09 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I just checked this image out.  The problem is that it has the partition
> *TYPE* UUID in the active slot, not the partition *unique* UUID.  If I
> put the partition unique UUID into the active slot, it boots as expected.
>
> It does, of course, beg the question if the partition type UUID should
> be accepted as a sort of wildcard.  It might not be too hard to
> implement, however, that will be a post-3.73 feature.
>
> 	-hpa
Oh, sorry about that... Stupid mistake on my part. I've attached a small
script that I used to grab the partition's UUID, I think you mentioned a
while back you wanted to write one. I haven't implemented any auto-detection
so it assumes that the LBA size is 512 on all drives, but it can grab any
part of the GPT header and print it to stdout.

It takes four arguments: Device node to read from, LBA #, byte offset and
number of bytes to read. So the UUID can be easily grabbed by using
"/dev/sdX 2 16 16" where N is the partition number+1.

Thanks for your help,
Stewart