[syslinux] Booting problem with memdisk + Thinkpad + USB

Jan Ploski jpl at plosquare.com
Sun Jul 12 13:08:54 PDT 2009

Hi,

I encountered a booting problem with memdisk 2.83, USB and IBM Thinkpad
T61, apparently the same issue as described here:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2008-April/009850.html

The boot process always stops after "Loading boot sector... booting...".
With debug tracers enabled, the last few output lines are:

A friend who uses memdisk more frequently also reported seeing the same
symptoms (hanging after "Loading boot sector...") with desktops and even
when booting from CDs.

I can see in source code that the 'I' tracer is output when the
Invalid_jump branch is taken. Simply commenting out the jump instruction
didn't fix the problem. Also, I didn't manage to capture the tracer
output for comparison on another (Dell) notebook where memdisk works
just fine using the same image because it disappeared from the screen
too quickly.

Regards,
Jan Ploski