[syslinux] Gfxboot COMBOOT module vs Ubuntu patches

Pierre-Alexandre Meyer pierre at mouraf.org
Mon Jul 13 09:47:46 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:17:28PM +0200, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
>> I was wondering where your Gfxboot version comes from. I know both Suse and
>> Ubuntu have patches, not sure how they relate to your module though.
>
> Debian does ship pure syslinux. Ubuntu and SUSE both include Steffen's
> syslinux-3.63.diff patch which implements an interface to gfxboot [1] and are both
> still at syslinux-3.63.

Right, this one is the debian/11-suse_gfxboot.dpatch.

> The gfxboot module in syslinux/modules tries to implement the same interface but as
> a COMBOOT module. It's based on the patch by Steffen and is intended to obsolete it.

I was wondering about Ubuntu extra patches. They seem to have three custom ones.
Do you know if they are still relevant with your version?

   - debian/patches/12-ubuntu_localboot-gfxdone.dpatch:
     + Make sure screen is cleared when using gfxboot.

   http://pub.mouraf.org/syslinux/gfxboot/12-ubuntu_localboot-gfxdone.dpatch

   - 13-ubuntu_com32_gfxboot.dpatch: Turn progress operations into no-ops
     unless gfx_progress_init has been called. Fixes a crash when both
     com32 and gfxboot are used, since loading a com32 object calls load_high
     which calls gfx_progress_update.

   http://pub.mouraf.org/syslinux/gfxboot/13-ubuntu_com32_gfxboot.dpatch

   - 14-ubuntu_gfxboot_force_prompt.dpatch: Always prompt if a gfxboot
     menu is set up.

   http://pub.mouraf.org/syslinux/gfxboot/14-ubuntu_gfxboot_force_prompt.dpatch

Thanks!

--