[syslinux] USB bootable (using syslinux)

Kim Mik kimmik999999 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 14:29:37 PDT 2009

Part of /doc/memdisk.txt of the syslinux archive:

d) MEMDISK normally uses the BIOS "INT 15h mover" API to access high
   memory.  This is well-behaved with extended memory managers which load
   later.  Unfortunately it appears that the "DOS boot disk" from
   WinME/XP *deliberately* crash the system when this API is invoked.
   The following command-line options tells MEMDISK to enter protected
   mode directly, whenever possible:

   raw        Use raw access to protected mode memory.

   bigraw    Use raw access to protected mode memory, and leave the
        CPU in "big real" mode afterwards.

   int        Use plain INT 15h access to protected memory.  This assumes
           that anything which hooks INT 15h knows what it is doing.

   safeint    Use INT 15h access to protected memory, but invoke
        INT 15h the way it was *before* MEMDISK was loaded.
        This is the default since version 3.73.

So try  adding one of the previous parameters to memdisk:

LABEL DOS
MENU LABEL Boot into DOS
KERNEL /boot/memdisk
APPEND initrd=/boot/images/winme.img raw
TEXT HELP

Gert Hulselmans