[syslinux] Gfxboot COMBOOT module vs Ubuntu patches

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jul 16 21:51:02 PDT 2009

Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:

>> com32 library?  The API in Syslinux 4 should look very similar at the
>> high level, but I suspect we need to add  new API functions to the
>> framebuffer driver to support you -- one thing I *know* is going to
>> happen already is support for resolutions other than 640x480.
>> However, the overall structure of a 32-bit in-memory framebuffer and a
>> single "copy to screen" function which will also do pixel conversions
>> I intend to keep.  And of course, you have the JPEG and PNG libraries
>> available already.
>
> I'm not at all sure yet what's needed. But gfx mode setting and a
> framebuffer should be ok. I've no plans to keep support for the old banked modes.

It's worth noting that there are devices in the field which don't have a
  direct-mapped framebuffer which do matter... so the shadow framebuffer
and blit to screen interface is almost certainly what we want anyway.

Where are you physically located?  It would be great if we could map out
the requirements sooner rather than later, and get clean interfaces that
does what we both need.