[syslinux] USB bootable (using syslinux)

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jul 19 13:07:19 PDT 2009

Op 20090719 om 13:02 schreef Agostinho Carvalho:
> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 08:58:00 +0200
> From: stappers at stappers.nl
>
>> The hardware, how does it see the USB device?  ( As a floppy ? )
>>

> When the system reboots I use F12 key (show Boot Menu) and I select
> "Cone 256MB USB Flash Disk".
>
> To make the pendrive I used:
> mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdb 0 64 32

I have no idea if those two "match".  I do know that it should match.
( Example of a MISmatch:   a floppy being formatted as a harddisk )

> Then:
> syslinux -s -d /boot/syslinux /dev/sdb4
>

> Then I copy the necessary files:
     <snip/>
> Then I modify the syslinux.cfg file:
     <snip/>

> What am I doing wrong?

I am not sure who is wrong
  ( choose from: user, software, firmware or/and hardware )

I would use this order  ( sequence )

|> Then I modify the syslinux.cfg file:
|> Then I copy the necessary files:
|> syslinux -s -d /boot/syslinux /dev/sdb4

>> Any partitions involved?

> mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdb 0 64 32
> syslinux -s -d /boot/syslinux /dev/sdb4

The 4 in /dev/sdb4  looks odd to me.

I would go for the whole device or for the first partition,
but that is because I have no experience with syslinux.

Geert Stappers
Happy user of pxelinux