[syslinux] mboot.c32, NUMA and tgz

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 05:54:18 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM, H. Peter Anvin<hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> Gene Cumm wrote:
>>
>> In ESXi 4.0, it is still (unfortunately) experimental.  See
>> http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_pxe_boot_esxi.pdf for information.
>> This may be a less-known and almost private PDF as searching in
>> Google for a link shows only a link from vsphere-land.com.
>>
>> One can only hope they find a nice solution soon as this would be a
>> nice feature.  All it should need (down the road; don't know if
>> they're doing this) are the boot files and either to know where the
>> vCenter server is for configuration or a small config file.
>>

> A note on this PDF:
>
> The clause:
>
> label ESXi
> menu label Boot VMware ESXi
> kernel mboot.c32
> "append vmkboot.gz --- vmk.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- oem.tgz ---
> license.tgz ipappend 2"
>
> Obviously needs to be:
>
> label ESXi
> menu label Boot VMware ESXi
> kernel mboot.c32
> append vmkboot.gz --- vmk.gz --- sys.vgz --- cim.vgz --- oem.tgz ---
> license.tgz
> ipappend 2
>
> [where license.tgz is at the end of the "append" line... f*cking
> Thunderbird editor doesn't let one override a linewrap.]
>
> --
> H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.

Thanks for noticing that.  That is something that most experienced
with Syslinux would know but the PDF makes no assumptions about
Syslinux familiarity.  It does make reference to the Syslinux
documentation but the quotes are obviously incorrect and there should
have been a note.

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII E-mail you sent me.'"