[syslinux] .ERROR: idle with IF=0 with 3.81 syslinux update.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Jun 1 00:06:02 PDT 2009

On 31 May 2009 at 21:34, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 31 May 2009 21:34:39 -0700
From:           	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:      	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] .ERROR: idle with IF=0 with 3.81 syslinux
update.

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> >
> > But the question is, why did it work just fine with 3.80 and not with 3.81??
> > The BIOS is the latest version for this motherboard as I just confirmed with
> > the MSI web site.
> > American Megatrends Inc.
> > V3.A
> > 09/29/2004
> > as reported by HDT.
> >
> > I've used various versions of isolinux on these machines for years, and only
> > with the 3.81 did the error occur??
> >

> It's the new halt-on-idle code.

Question. Will this fix be worked into the syslinux, or will it need to be
patched each time? Additionally, I use this for my g4l project disk imaging
program, which gets about 8,000 to 15,000 downloads each month from
sourceforge, and I have no ideal what hardware all the users have, so want
to make sure it works with the largest amount of hardware. Haven't had any
issues reported, but am sure that this error would have some users
confused.

Thanks for the time and all your work with the project...

> 	-hpa
>
> --
> H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,896,968.5975 | EINSTEIN 2,569,741.4109 | ROSETTA
944,822.9588