[syslinux] Unbootable machine

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Mon Jun 1 01:13:12 PDT 2009

On Monday, June 1, 2009, 7:32:56, Bernie Innocenti wrote:

> The same USB stick boots fine on any other computer I could find.
> Does it seem like a syslinux bug?  And if turns out to be a known BIOS
> bug, is there a good workaround?

It's most likely a BIOS bug. You'll probably find out that syslinux
prints CBIOS in it's welcome line, meaning the BIOS is limiting it to
drives < 1024 cylinders. If your USB stick is formatted with ZIP drive
geometry, try formatting it normally - at least for me, that solved
the booting problem on Gigabyte G33-DS3R motherboard.

Another thing you could try is that instead of booting the stick as
USB-HDD (or USB-ZIP), press the key to display boot menu at bootup,
choose +Hard drive there, which should give you another menu, and
select your USB stick from that menu.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Don't ask the barber whether you need a haircut.
       -- First Law of Expert Advice