[syslinux] Unbootable machine

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Mon Jun 1 15:38:46 PDT 2009

On Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 0:10:45, J.H. wrote:

> Generally speaking, MS's choice in treating usb sticks, and every other
> form of removable media 'special' and not allowing for multiple
> partitions, etc more or less is going to make having multiple partitions
>   a show stopper, even with all the extra drivers, work arounds, etc
> that all exist it's going well beyond what most, even normally advanced
> users, are going to be able to cope with.

The main problem is that even if it works on your machine, you can't
simply take a partitioned USB stick to another (Windows) machine and
expect it to work. Not to mention that the "removable" bit has nothing
to do with the device actually being removable (I had the opportunity
of installing XP to a CF card, which turned out to have the removable
bit set, even though it was on an IDE controller that definitely
didn't allow hotplug; Windows wouldn't let me create swap file because
it only allows them on non-removable devices).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

What this world needs is a damned good plague.
       -- Larrimer's Constant