[syslinux] Unbootable machine

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Tue Jun 2 09:07:00 PDT 2009

Hallo, Gilles,

Du meintest am 02.06.09:

>>> Shouldn't fdisk guess these values automagically?
>>> And, more importantly, who are we going to blame if it doesn't? ;-)

[...]

> Possible to make usb images from sfdisk

[...]

Sometimes (since more than 10 years) I give cfdisk and sfdisk a new try
- until now always with the same result: these two programs make
configurations which produce other problems. Returning to fdisk always
solved these problems.

And when I know the first partition shall be a DOS/Windows partition I
use the partitioning program from Microsoft (USB sticks: the HP
routine). For that purpose even the linux fdisk makes sometimes
problems.

Ok - the next big problem is GPT (GUID partition table) ...

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut