[syslinux] PXE Boot Solution

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 2 16:08:22 PDT 2009

Matthew Holevinski wrote:

> Honestly, it would be great, if i could reboot say 20 machines, have
> them all pxe boot from my machine and then sit back and watch my
> machine multicast out an image to all of them. Not really sure what I'm
> talking about so be gentle.

Stay away from multicast.  It's a neat idea in theory, but in practice
it works extremely poorly.  Multicasting is generally implemented
incredibly badly at the switch level, for example.  Everyone I know of
who have dealt with large-scale deployments who have tried the multicast
route has dropped it at some point.  It's just not reliable enough.

As far as the bigger question is concerned, I would look at Unattended:

http://unattended.sourceforge.net/