[syslinux] PXE Boot Solution

Ryan McLean pvtryan100 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 3 02:40:04 PDT 2009

Andrew Stuart wrote:
-snip-
> I really hate to suggest this.. I mean I really really hate to suggest
> this.. I think it would be in your best interest to look at
> microsoft's deployment services (WDS).
>
> I stay as far away from it as I possibly can (because I don't like
> being locked in). I much prefer the system I have setup with syslinux,
> but alas it doesn't support multicast (nor do I need it to).
>
> I haven't used it since it's early days (pre multicast), so I have no
> idea if what they claim is supported, or what magic / licenses / etc
> you need to make it work.
>
> Take a look at the following link:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726541(WS.10).aspx
>
> I think this is readily available now, but I am not positive. I know
> they were going to be expanding this with the Windows 7 Waik.
>
> The plus side, is someone put up a nice tutorial for adding pxelinux
> to WDS. Which should give you the other boot abilities of your usb
> drive. See:
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Deploy_Linux_from_Windows_WDS.2FRIS_server_using_PXELinux
That was me, glad you like it.. :D

I personally use WDS/RIS for my deployments (WDS for windows Vista and
above, RIS for XP & Linux). The only thing I would add is that WDS is
supposedly better than RIS but imho it is a lot more difficult to figure
out how to use, so read all the documentation at least twice, in saying
that if you are deploying vista then you must use WDS as RIS will not do
it AFAIK.

If you have any questions about my config / you want some example WDS
unattended files let me know (I only have partial unattended deployment
(i.e. A base install) as I have not yet worked out how to auto install
3rd party apps or add custom drivers to the setup).

Regards,

Ryan