[syslinux] Unbootable machine

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Wed Jun 3 10:26:04 PDT 2009

On Monday, June 1, 2009, 21:24:36, Sean DALY wrote:

> I believe the U3 crudware gets around the Windows limitation by
> pretending to be a hub, presenting 3 or 4 logical volumes to Windows
> from a single USB key. I know there is a Windows-only installer which
> is difficult to get rid of (you have to give U3 piles of personal
> information for the "right" to download the uninstaller, whose license
> forbids you to distribute it, etc.)

U3 works by presenting two devices to the system, a CD-ROM and a
removable USB stick. They chose CD-ROM because autorun works
automatically with it, while it doesn't with normal removable drives.

Also, to remove U3 from a stick you just need to go to it's settings
and click Remove - no need to download anything (but why would you do
that, when it's not that hard to replace the CD-ROM portion with your
own ISO, which can be booted on BIOSes that see both parts of the
drive).

BTW, there are USB pendrives that can be set to present themselves as
either removable or fixed media. Sadly, they're not very common.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money.
       -- Canada Bill Jones's Motto