[syslinux] R: Re: R: Re: PXEbooting very slow

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 14:08:21 PDT 2009

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> pfranz73 at tiscali.it wrote:
>>
>> Using tftpd32 v3.33 I saw these problems regularly beginning from v3.
>> 81. All 3.80 versions show the problem only sometimes, so I switched
>> back to tftpd32 v3.10 which exposes problems better. Here timeouts are
>> always present beginning with 3.76, but there are duplicate
>> acknowledges from version 3.80-pre1.
>>
>> Here are the logs, all with
>> tftpd32 v3.10. As you can see, timeouts are much less in v3.76. This
>> outcoming is quite stable over various attempts I made.
>>

> The 3.8x series is much more aggressive at retransmitting when it
> doesn't get a reply.  Perhaps it is too aggressive with respect to the
> RRQ, but that should normally only cause a stale connection which should
> eventually time out (not impeding the progress of the actual
> transmissions).  Furthermore, it should not affect a download already in
> progress.
>
> If this is something that has been addressed in the later versions of
> tftpd32, I'm not all that interested in addressing it.

I am able to reproduce the problem in qemu and here are my results:
With 3.75 and 3.82-pre4 i am getting delays with tftpd32 v3.10. Both syslinux
versions seem to work better, but not perfect, with tftpd32 v3.33.

This seems to be a tftpd32 problem since i never saw such delays with atftp-0.7.0-66.

- Sebastian