[syslinux] USB bootable (using syslinux)

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Jun 22 07:35:33 PDT 2009

Sorry for the delayed response, Agostinho.

You've asked about how to create images for use with MEMDISK (not
MEMTEST)...
- If you have Linux, you can use the DD command to create images.  To
create a standard 1.44 MB floppy image, you could do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=myfloppy.vfd count=2880
losetup /dev/loop0 myfloppy.vfd
mkfs.vfat /dev/loop0
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/myfloppy
cp -a myfiles/* /mnt/myfloppy
umount /mnt/myfloppy
losetup /dev/loop0 -d

- To create an HDD image, you use similar steps, with the additional
complication of the MBR and its partition table.  What this usually
means is using 'fdisk' on the the /dev/loop0, detaching it, then doing
losetup on it again but specifying the offset of the particular
partition that you created with 'fdisk'.  Also for an HDD image, you
will need MBR boot code installed, and to set an active partition.

There are likely HowTos available via search results from an Internet
search engine for more detail.

You asked about a background boot image.  If you would kindly refer to
syslinux/doc/menu.txt, you will find a section with the following
detail:

MENU BACKGROUND background

        For vesamenu.c32, sets the background image.  The background
        can either be a color (see MENU COLOR) or the name of an image
        file, which should be 640x480 pixels and either in PNG or JPEG
        format.

Good luck!

- Shao Miller