[syslinux] [syslinux request] To package it in a directory

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:30:50 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I recently downloaded the latest syslinux zip file from kernel.org and
>>> didn't know to create a directory for it and unzip it in its own
>>> directory. Oie what a mess.
>>
>> Just confirmed it on syslinux-3.73.zip.  syslinux-3.73.tar.bz2 is
>> packaged correctly with the syslinux-3.73 directory preceding it.
>> 3.72 and 3.63 are the same way.  I haven't tried other versions.
>>
> What are you using to unpack?
> When I use unzip that comes with ubuntu like so
> unzip <path to syslinux zip file>
> it unpacks everythining into the current directory.
> Maybe your zip program is creating the directory for you?

I'm sorry if I confused you.  What I meant to say is that the ZIP file
is packaged such that, for example, the BUGS file (the first in the
ZIP), is located in the top directory of the archive in 3.73, 3.72,
and 3.63.  The tar.bz2 files are packaged in the more unix style of
storing a directory into the file first and everything under that
directory.  For 3.73, the BUGS file is located at syslinux-3.73/BUGS.

For files not stored in a CPIO or TAR format, I've normally used 7zip
(see the p7zip* packages in Ubuntu).  Since you're using Linux and it
sounds like you're extracting them from a terminal or virtual console,
I'd recommend learning how to use tar (if you don't already).  "tar
xjvf syslinux-3.73.tar.bz2" is a quick command that will, verbosely,
extract the tar.bz2 file into the current directory, first creating a
syslinux-3.73 directory as it's already in the archive.  The ZIP files
that are made for distribution are definitely less common but I'd
guess that they make it easier for DOS/Windows users to utilize them.

--
-Gene