[syslinux] Custom .c32 module which can send tcp or udp packets

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Mar 13 09:21:53 PDT 2009

Gene Cumm wrote:

> Peter, is it me or is asking about the capability of writing to a
> file, remote or local, coming up more often?

It seems that way.  One of the things that concerns me about making it
available as a general solution is gPXE compatibility, which means
adding write support to all the gPXE protocols, too.

> The first issue is that you must implement the TFTP PUT in assembly in
> pxelinux.asm.  Then, you'd have to utilize it either in a COM32
> library call or directly from your COM32 program.  If you don't start
> in pxelinux.asm, you'd need to open the network card up yourself.  INT
> 22h AX=0009h provides access to the PXE stack in the COMBOOT API.

You can't open the network card if you're not booted from PXE.

That's sort of a fundamental limitation.

Writing a local file is even scarier... you constantly have to be
concerned about nuking real data there.