[syslinux] gpxelinux, chain.c32 and the freebsd bootloader

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Mar 13 11:51:52 PDT 2009

Emmanuel Jeanvoine wrote:

> The message I obtain on the node :
> /boot/kernel/kernel text=0x72a328 data=0xed538+0x71b48
> syms=[0x8+0xaa8f8+0x8+0x92fea] Consoles: internal video/keyboard
> serial port BIOS drive C: is disk0
> BIOS 548kB/2095488kB available memory
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
> (root at gdx-48, Mon Jul 28 07:29:51 UTC 2008)
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>
> Do you have any idea of the problem ?

Hm... "guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff" implies something pretty
fundamentally broken, because the BIOS device is passed in via register
DL, and should be an 8-bit number.

It sounds like the FreeBSD boot loader is making some kind of assumption
here which isn't true, which either means I'm doing something wrong or
they are.

As always, if you're not trying the latest version of Syslinux (3.73 or
3.74-pre5) please do so; otherwise it would be useful if we could hear
from the FreeBSD people what they expect.