[syslinux] Syslinux + USB + PE 2.0

Matthew Holevinski eylusion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:04:33 PDT 2009

I am having the darnedest of times trying to get my WinPE to work off
the syslinux loader.
I used to use isolinux, and my isolinux config would just invoke the
etfsboot.com file which
i had renamed to loader.bin, and everything would work just fine off a
cd. But now I'm trying
to transfer all of my cd functionality to thumbdrives.

With Syslinux, i have my syslinux.cfg file calling loader.bin like I
used to and it doesn't work
from the thumbdrive, i'll get these weird CDBOOT: Can't find BOOTMGR
messages and stuff
I'm curious though, if I freshly format my thumbdrive and just copy my
PE files to it and boot off
of it, it loads up PE without a glitch, but I can't seem to figure out
how to tell syslinux to load my
PE OS.

 My USB stick looks like this:
G:\
G:\boot\
G:\EFI\
G:\sources\
G:\bootmgr
G:\ldlinux.sys
and my syslinux.cfg and menu.c32 files in the root

Boot has bcd, boot.sdi, boofix.bin, etfsboot.com (all default from a
fresh PE build), and loader.bin which is just etfsboot.com

::My syslinux.cfg looks like this (summarized)::

LABEL pe
MENU DEFAULT
MENU LABEL ^1. PE
KERNEL /boot/loader.bin

LABEL memtest
MENU LABEL ^2. MemTest86+
KERNEL /boot/memtest

LABEL gdisk
MENU LABEL ^3. Gdisk - Wipe Disk
KERNEL memdisk
append initrd=gdisk.ima

LABEL INPD
MENU LABEL ^4. Initialize Primary Disk Drive
KERNEL memdisk
append initrd=INPD.ima

LABEL win98
MENU LABEL ^5. Win98 Boot Disk
KERNEL memdisk
append initrd=win98.ima

LABEL RECO
MENU LABEL ^6. RECO PointSec Recovery Tool
KERNEL memdisk
append initrd=reco.IMZ

LABEL boothd
MENU LABEL ^7. Boot First Hard Drive