[syslinux] Syslinux + USB + PE 2.0

Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com
Tue Mar 17 09:54:35 PDT 2009

Hello Matt,

> Reformated USB Thumbdrive 8 gig DataTraveler using windows PE.
> Verified PE installation on it would boot normally without syslinux
bootloader.

Instead of formating to create MBR from a running Vista/Vista PE and with
USB-Driveletter F: you can also use the following command:

    bootsect.exe /NT6 F: /force

> and BOOM! Everything works like a charm now, that vista.bin file of mine
is like
> gold if you ask me, i should redistribute that thing on the internet
> for anyone else who might need it.

Since the Vista Bootloader "bootmgr" works different to "ntloader" from
former Windows-
versions, it cares about 4 Bytes in the MBR the disc-signature at position
440-443
(0x01B8). This value is stored in the file \Boot\BCD (Because the bcd file
is not a
simple textfile, it has to be editwith a special tool called bcdedit). As
result of
this you need a mbr belonging to your special Vista/Vista PE installation,
otherwise
you will get a winload error after starting the bootloader.

Peter Leenders