[syslinux] Issue with timeout option?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Mar 18 00:12:16 PDT 2009

I have a project g4l that uses syslinux and have been working on the next
version. I installed the 3.74 pre5, and it worked just fine. But I was doing a
test, and booted the systems, and usually pick the default kerenel or one of
the other kernels on the CD before it times out with 60 seconds. But this
time, I didn't do that. It loaded the default kernel with no problem, but then
gives the following:
VFS: Cannnot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(253,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:

Then it shows the hard disk and cd drive options.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VGS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(253,0).

If I select the same kernel from the menu, it boots fine?
the Ontimeout is:
Ontimeout bz28.7

Has something changed?
Thanks.
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,520,524.2342 | EINSTEIN 2,398,689.2709 | ROSETTA
826,240.8511