[syslinux] menu.c32 works on serial console, but hdt.c32 displays on vga only.

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Mon Mar 23 17:20:40 PDT 2009

Hello all:

I just downloaded and built syslinux-3.74-pre11 and installed it.  I
set it to boot and run on the serial port/serial console and when I
switch to menu mode (by typing "menu" at the boot: prompt), it
works. In the older version I got the upper left corner of the dialog
box drawn and that was it. So that is terrific, thanks.

However when I am on the serial console and I run "hdt", it displays
the hdt screen on the VGA adaptor and not on the serial interface.

In my pxeboot config file I have:

  serial 0 38400
  console 0
  prompt 1

I noticed that the main function in hdt.c has:

  console_ansi_raw();
  /* Opening the Syslinux console */
  //  openconsole(&dev_stdcon_r, &dev_ansicon_w);

Could the missing openconsole be stopping it from working
on the serial console?

Is there something I need to do to get hdt to run on the serial
console?

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard