[syslinux] menu.c32 works on serial console, but hdt.c32 displays on vga only.

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Tue Mar 24 08:18:22 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:43:17AM +0100, Erwan Velu wrote:
> John Rouillard wrote:
> > Hello all:
> > Is there something I need to do to get hdt to run on the serial
> > console?
> >
> The best way to run hdt on the serial console is to use the cli mode.
> At least, this how it had been designed.

Ah ok. I was expecting I could get an ansi menu mode like I do with
menu.c32.

> If you just appened "nomenu" to hdt.c32, it will start using the cli.

Ok, so I will try boot: 'hdt nomenu'

> Then, you'll be able to watch your hardware configuration.
>
> A summary of the cli is available here :
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hdt_(Hardware_Detection_Tool)#Syntax_of_the_CLI

I'll review that as a well.

> Tell me if that match your expectations,

Will do. The cli is nice for scripting support (say using expect and
capturing the inventory of the system over the network to a file), but
for interactive (or occasional) use the menu based system is much
easier to use.

Thanks for the info.

--
				-- rouilj