[syslinux] menu.c32 works on serial console, but hdt.c32 displays on vga only.

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Wed Mar 25 12:14:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 04:37:28PM +0100, Erwan Velu wrote:
> John Rouillard wrote:
> > [...]
> > Will do. The cli is nice for scripting support (say using expect and
> > capturing the inventory of the system over the network to a file), but
> > for interactive (or occasional) use the menu based system is much
> > easier to use.
>
> A "show summary" in the cli mode surely helps for a quick understanding
> of the current plateform.

Hmm, typing "hdt nomenu" at the boot prompt. Then running "show
summary" at the hdt> prompt in serial mode, clears the screen and
prints:

  CPU
   Manufacturer :  Intel
   Product      :  Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
   Features     :  2600 MhZ : x86 32bits SMP
  System
   Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation
   Product Name : Dimension 2400
   Serial       : HXT5Y71
  Bios
   Version      : A05
   Release      : 12/02/2003
  Memory Banks
   bank 00      : 512 MB SDRAM at 266 MHz
   bank 01      : 256 MB SDRAM at 266 MHz
  PCI
   NB Devices   : 13
  PXE
   PCI device no: 0

and then is dead: no prompt, no response to enter/cr. I saw this in
both hyperterm and teraterm.

Somtimes I don't even get that far and it dies at:

  Hardware Detection Tool 0.2.5 by Erwan Velu
  CPU: Detecting
  DISKS: Detecting
  DMI: Detecting Table
  DMI: Table found ! (version 2.3)
  PCI: 13 devices detected
  PCI: Resolving names
  PCI: Resolving class names
  PCI: Resolving module names
  PCI: 13 Devices Found
  VESA: Detecting
  MENU: Motherboard menu done (7 items)
  MENU: Chassis menu done (6 items)
  MENU: System menu done (8 items)
  MENU: Memory menu done (2 items)
  MENU: BIOS menu done (4 items)
  MENU: Processor menu done (18 items)
  MENU: Disks menu done (0 items)
  MENU: PCI menu done (13 items)

with modules.pcimap pci.ids in /tftpboot. Without those files there I
get the hdt prompt all the time and typing "show summary" reports:

  CPU
   Manufacturer :  Intel
   Product      :  Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
   Features     :  2600 MhZ : x86 32bits SMP
  System
   Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation
   Product Name : Dimension 2400
   Serial       : HXT5Y71
  Bios
   Version      : A05
   Release      : 12/02/2003
  Memory Banks
   bank 00      : 512 MB SDRAM at 266 MHz
   bank 01      : 256 MB SDRAM at 266 MHz
  PCI
   NB Devices   : 13
  PXE
   PCI device no: 0
   PCI Bus pos. : 01:01.00
   Addresses    : 192.168.8.168 @ 00:14:22:61:ab:6f
  Kernel modules
   modules.pcimap is missing
  hdt>

and I can access other menu options. Also in the serial mode it looks
like the cursor is turned off.

dt> show syslinux
SYSLINUX
 Bootloader : PXElinux
 Version    : PXELINUX 3.74 3.74
 Version    : 842
 Max API    : 35
 Copyright  : Copyright (C) 1994-2009 H. Peter Anvin

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator