[syslinux] porting to tftp-hpa version tftp-server-0.39-3.el4.x86_64.rpm

HANKE, ROGER A, ATTLABS rhanke at att.com
Mon Mar 30 09:11:18 PDT 2009

Dear tftp-hpa'ers,
 We are migrating from Solaris 2.8 to RHEL 4.6 64 bit. So are in the
process of migrating our Solaris 2.8 tftp servers (as well as lots of
other servers) to the latest tftp-hpa version available to RHEL 4 users:
tftp-server-0.39-3.el4.x86_64.rpm. Since this version was made available
roughly a year ago would guess it probably contains roughly the same
fixes as your version that was produced about a year ago so is much more
current than original 0.39 that RHEL 4 included?
 Anyway hope these below are all general enough operating newbie type
questions that could be answered even if this doesn't pin down the exact
version from your tree we are running?
	Thanks in advance
	Roger hanke

-	Any documentation on tftp-hpa configuration/operation besides
the manual pages which I have really been relying almost strictly on?
-	What syslog parameters are being used by tftp-hpa? By knowing
them hoping it would then be possible to use syslog configuration to
have tftp-hpa log to a separate file instead of mixing its lines in with
everyone elses in /var/log/messages? Or is it using common ones so would
just end up with a bunch of processes along with tftp-hpa all writing to
the separate file??
-	We need to run more than one tftp-hpa server per physical server
so need to set them up to listen on specific addresses. We have used the
-a command line argument to specify a single address for it to listen
on. But we actually have need for it to listen on more than one
interface (but not all) and saw that last -a arg seems to win, that they
don't add additional interfaces to listen on it appears. Any way to
listen on multiples?
-	Only by specifying -v command line arg do we even see the RRQ
line logged everytime a request comes in. Added another 3 -v command
line arguments as described in man pages but still didn't see anything
else get logged, not even when there was an error during the transfer
like a timeout. How can I get more output from tftp-hpa besides just RRQ
lines?
-	With previous tftp servers we could specify the timeout I see
you can on your command line, the retry timeout. In addition we could
also specify the total session timeout, when the server would eventually
drop the session. Doesn't appear I can set that but would at least like
to know for sure what that timeout value is?

Roger A. Hanke
AT&T Labs
rhanke at att.com
732.420.8983