[syslinux] [1/1] [gfxboot] align buffer used to read data from disk to a 512 byte boundary

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri May 1 11:06:58 PDT 2009

Sebastian Herbszt wrote:

> Acked-by: Sebastian Herbszt <herbszt at gmx.de>
>
> Too bad all my previous testing didn't reveal this alignment problem.
> With this patch applied the module still works fine here with syslinux, isolinux
> and pxelinux.

Well, there were multiple reasons for it... first of all, there are only
a small number of systems that are affected with this problem still, and
 until recently the layout of the Syslinux core segments were such that
it didn't matter anyway.

This is why testing can never find all bugs: sometimes the bugs are
latent, and will only be exposed when *something else* (in this case,
the Syslinux segments) change.