[syslinux] "menu quit" entry causing prompt to freeze

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Fri May 1 11:59:02 PDT 2009

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:

>>> I don't think a (menu) label with no kernel should do a localboot.
>>> It seems the wrong (default) action, doing nothing at all seems more
>>> reasonable to me.
>>
>> And 'doing nothing'
>> will mean "exit syslinux", resulting in a localboot ...
>>

> "Doing nothing" should mean heading down the error path, which *usually*
> ends up back at the prompt.  I have put that change into 3.80-pre5, but
> I haven't had a chance to test it yet.  It actually made the code
> substantially cleaner, too.
>
> -hpa

Using

label xyz
  menu quit
  menu label ^Exit menu

works on syslinux and isolinux. Both print "Could not find kernel image: xyz"
when xyz label is selected on the command line. On pxelinux it's
"Could not find kernel image: 120.121.122.0::".
bad_kernel in ui.inc has

                mov si,KernelName
                mov di,KernelCName
                push di
                call unmangle_name              ; Get human form

KernelName has "xyz" as input and KernelCName has "120.121.122.0::"
as output from unmangle_name.

Maybe use "mov si,KernelName+4*IS_PXELINUX" ?

- Sebastian