[syslinux] Domain-specific HLT when idle

Peter Iannucci iannucci at MIT.EDU
Sat May 2 17:11:06 PDT 2009

Hello hpa,

We are developing a Xen-based virtualization service, and we are trying
to reduce excessive CPU utilization at isolinux boot prompts.  When
users boot up a virtual machine on an isolinux boot CD, the CPU starts
spinning at 100%.  These machines frequently get left in this state for
days or weeks, degrading the service for everyone else.

You replied to the work-around discussed in the earlier thread at

http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-June/005291.html

 > Breaks serial console.
 >     -hpa

In our case, the serial console is not an issue.  We would like to
submit a patch to isolinux which HLTs on getchar if isolinux is not
running with the serial console option.  Do you think this is the right
solution to this problem?  Can we work with you to resolve this?

Thanks,
-Peter Iannucci
MIT Student Information Processing Board