[syslinux] Domain-specific HLT when idle

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 3 12:40:27 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2 May 2009, Peter Iannucci wrote:

> In our case, the serial console is not an issue.  We would like to submit a
> patch to isolinux which HLTs on getchar if isolinux is not running with the
> serial console option.  Do you think this is the right solution to this
> problem?  Can we work with you to resolve this?

I support you on this, I brought this on the table last year too. We are
not using serial console and this is a big issue for us too.

In our case we do CD-based anaconda installations that (on success)
automatically reboot. Since we cannot eject these virtual ISO images they
wait on the isolinux bootprompt after this reboot.

It may take a few days (in some cases were we do test installations weeks)
before the machines are booted (or re-installed) and it is wasting CPU
power.

On a physical machine it's less disturbing since it is dedicated hardware
(still not OK for green computing) but in virtualization this is a huge
problem.