[syslinux] Domain-specific HLT when idle

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 3 18:04:08 PDT 2009

On Sun, 3 May 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>> Keep in mind that if you have control over the configuration it might be
>>> preferrable to set a totaltimeout which shuts down the domain...
>>
>> How would one do this? I assume it's something like
>>
>> TOTALTIMEOUT 9000
>> DEFAULT apm_poweroff.com
>>
>> where apm_poweroff.com would try to use INT 15h, AX = 5307h?
>
> Yup :)

This is not something we would like to do in our case. The fact that we
have the ISO splash screen helps the operational team to maintain state.

Unless of course we could have a hlt_on_getchar.c32 which returns to the
syslinux prompt, and a new directive like:

   ONBOOT hlt_on_getchar.c32

which means before doing anything, first run the specified program(s) and
then continue with the normal cli/menu.