[syslinux] Strange behaviour when using vesamenu.c32 and PXELinux

Marius Eikenes viddy at viddy.no
Fri May 8 06:53:34 PDT 2009

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> You didn't say which versions.  In particular, this *might* be a
> manifestation of a problem that was recently fixed, so it would be
> nice if you could try out 3.80-pre3 and see if that resolves the issue
> for you.
>
>> But heres the catch: In some cases (on some computers), when finding the
>> choice i want and pressing <enter>, the menu just freezes.
>> It does not start downloading the kernel or initrd, it just freezes.
>> Ctrl+alt+delete does nothing when this happens.
>
> Anything in common between the computers that work and the computers
> that fail?  BIOS versions?  NICs?  Chipset?
>
>     -hpa

Hello, i have now been testing some more.

The ones I am having problems with as of now are ASUS Laptops, it is
consistently happening on all of the laptops of the type: Asus M50v.
The PXE Boot Rom says: Realtek 8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller
v2.08 (070827).
Everything starts up nice, but what happens is as earlier described:
The menu hangs when choosing an item. But everything works if escaping
the menu and typing the label at the boot:-command line.
So i am guessing the problem lies in vesamenu(?).
This time i am running the latest testing-version of both pxelinux.0 and
vesamenu.c32 (From the syslinux-3.81-pre2 package).
I have also tried the ones from the syslinux-3.80 package, the same
thing happens.

The menu works fine on the machines with the PXE Rom for: Realtek
8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.17 (080602)
The Asus G71G laptops.
It works with both syslinux-3.81-pre2 and syslinux-3.80 vesamenu.c32 and
pxelinux.0.

So it looks like there might be something that's not working with v2.08
of the Realtek 8111B/8111C PXE-rom?