[syslinux] The "core32" development branch

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Fri May 15 10:28:22 PDT 2009

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Well, there is now a development branch in the git repository, which
> contains the infrastructure needed for rewriting the core in C.  As an
> initial test case it simply contains a "Hello, World!" and a rewrite of
> rllpack in C.
>
> This is not production code in any way: SYSLINUX (the FAT version) is
> completely broken (I haven't had time to fix the installers yet) and the
> Linux kernel loader (as opposed to linux.c32) seems to have problems.
>
> Together with liu and Claudiu's work this summer, and eventually
> Stefan's from last year, this should be a major step towards a clean core.
>
> -hpa

I am getting

ld -m elf_i386  -T syslinux.ld -M -o ldlinux.elf ldlinux.o libcore.a ../com32/lib/libcom32.a
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.2.1/libgcc.a > ldlinux.map
ld: ldlinux.o(.stab+0x0): Stabs entry has invalid string index.
ldlinux.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
make[1]: *** [ldlinux.elf] Error 1

- Sebastian