[syslinux] coreboot & syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 19 09:54:12 PDT 2009

Ryan McLean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking into using coreboot to speed up the booting of my HTPC,
> while looking at the payloads they offer I thought that perhaps a
> syslinux derivative would be nice to have as a payload due to it's
> flexibility.
> Is this possible? or something you would be interested in adding support
> for?

Not really.  The right way to do this is to run the SeaBIOS payload and
let it run Syslinux.

The whole Coreboot idea that everyone should write Coreboot-specific
"payloads" is really nothing other than "we are the new standard, you
should all jump on doing it our way."  Not a realistic option.

As far as possible, it currently isn't, but ongoing work will soon make
it possible (and I'm actively looking into having EFI support.)  That
doesn't make it a good idea.