[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri May 22 02:10:38 PDT 2009

Hi,

I once again have a problem with memdisk failing to boot a harddisk image
to update my Thinkpad X200s firmware. I extracted the harddisk image
from the eltorito type 4 ISO using the isobar tool.

Then I added memdisk using this image as initrd to my grub, rebooted and it
boots into PC DOS and then freezes (ctrl-alt-del still works to reboot the
system).

Inside Qemu however it works fine and boots into the firmware update tool.
So it seems yet another BIOS+memdisk issue.

I tried the latest 3.81pre9 yesterday as well as RHEL5's default 3.11, and
they both freeze the same way. I also tried all the possible options for
memdisk (although not any combination).

Is there a specific version I can try to see if this is a regression ? Is
there something I can provide to help you debug this problem ? Is it
possible some BIOS option can change the behaviour of memdisk ?

I noticed that on ThinkWiki someone (the author) did exactly the same
thing on his X200 without a problem. But may have a different
BIOS firmware/syslinux/BIOS options.

 	http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_update_without_optical_disk

Let me know,