[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.81-pre10

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri May 22 11:03:11 PDT 2009

Hi,

me:
> > while studying isohybrid.bin of 3.81-pre10
[that should have been "isohybrid.in"]
> > i wonder whether isohybrid 3.72 and 3.81 are
> > crosswise compatible with the isolinux boot
> > images of 3.72 and 3.81.

hpa:
> They aren't, unfortunately.

What puzzled me was that i could not spot
any difference in handling of the MBR if i
used the old default values of the options.
Well, the MBR code template is not in
the file i examined.

> What's worse is that the old MBR is actually
> broken even with the old code,

So you advise that libisofs MBR production
should refuse on the old boot image signature
as soon as 3.81 is out ?

That would be more convenient for me than the
necessity to support two incompatible versions.

Your explanation brings me back to the license
issue:
The new MBR generator will not be an adaption
of the old one but a new translation from
your code. I will need a new license for it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas