[syslinux] Location and name of configuration files

Andrew Yeomans ajv at yeomans.org.uk
Sat May 23 13:49:16 PDT 2009

Just thinking out loud, but thought I'd better check with you syslinux
experts ...

Far too many times I've converted an .iso file to boot off a USB disk by
renaming the isolinux directory and isolinux.cfg file, and far too many
times also forgotten to do so the first time round. Looking at the various
mailing lists on the web shows users often have problem getting a USB stick
to work due to similar problems.

Would it not be more user-friendly and less error-prone if isolinux could
search both sets of directories, namely:-

/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
/isolinux.cfg
/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
/syslinux.cfg

And similarly syslinux could do the same but with the syslinux.cfg files
first. That would make it possible to have a single .iso file that was easy
to copy across to a USB drive, without manually changing it. And would also
support different config files in the same .iso image for syslinux and
isolinux, if there was a good reason to have them different.

I've just spotted that isohybrid also helps towards the aim of a single
image for CD and USB; however a dd-able image is not so easy to use if you
don't want to overwrite existing data. So supporting additional locations
and names would still be useful.

Andrew Yeomans