[syslinux] Location and name of configuration files

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 24 02:48:16 PDT 2009

On Sat, 23 May 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Andrew Yeomans wrote:
>>
>> Would it not be more user-friendly and less error-prone if isolinux could
>> search both sets of directories, namely:-
>>
>> /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
>> /isolinux/isolinux.cfg
>> /isolinux.cfg
>> /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
>> /syslinux/syslinux.cfg
>> /syslinux.cfg
>
> Yes, I'm seriously thinking that having all derivatives fall back to
> syslinux.cfg is the right thing to do.  It won't happen for 3.81 (it's
> way too late to make that change), but expect to see it in a future release.

Small things like this bring a smile. Things are coming together and I
like it !

How do derivatives handle unknown keywords ? We may want to change that
too and look for another mechanism for those errors so they are silenced
by default ?

Maybe add a debug option to syslinux.cfg to have the derivatives output
parsing information or something like that (just freewheeling here) in
case people want to dig into why something is not behaving as expected.