[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 24 09:05:24 PDT 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Miller, Shao wrote:

> Good day Dag and Michael,
>
> In regards to you challenge MEMDISK-booting an HDD image extracted from
> an .ISO image, I'm curious:
> - I know all MEMDISK options were tried at one point; did that include
> "raw"?

Yes.

> - Are you specifying c= h= s= geometry for the HDD image?  If so, how
> are you determining the correct c= h= s= to pass?

No, I was planning to look if for Qemu the C/H/S was the same as for my
BIOS. I would think it is the same though. Since it is the same image and
the same memdisk. And it works within Qemu and it works for others :)

> - If you use the HDD with QEmu as an _actual_ HDD, does that work?
>
> qemu -hda foo.hdd -boot c

It does not contain a bootloader. What works is:

 	qemu -kernel /boot/memdisk -initrd /boot/6duj08uc.img

> - If you give QEmu some other HDD image, then try booting QEmu and doing
> the MEMDISK thing with the extracted image, does that work?  I know you
> said it works in QEmu, so I am asking if it is because QEmu has no other
> HDDs in your test, or if changing that parameter changes the test's
> success

I tried with a USB stick as well as my built-in SD reader and an 16GB SDHC
card and it fails there too. Both do work within Qemu.

And the same image works with memdisk on someone else's X200 and T400,
while it fails on my X200s. So there is something fishy going on.

BTW I reported it also on ThinkWiki and there are others having the same
problem, so it is not just me either :)

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Talk:BIOS_update_without_optical_disk