[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sun May 24 12:38:15 PDT 2009

Very simple answer: The .ISO was created with Nero, and the HDD "image"
is actually just enough to boot, then the rest of the sectors are on the
rest of the .ISO.  Extracting just this truncated HDD "image" does not
have everything in it.  Is has some of the files in the image's
partition's root directory, but nothing in the Flash\ directory, plus
some of the root files might be corrupted.  To _really_ extract this HDD
image, do:

dd if=6duj 08uc.iso of=thinibm.fat skip=108

(108 is the HDD image's starting sector, 27, times 4 times as many
512-byte sectors in a 2048-byte ODD sector.)

Enjoy!

- Shao Miller