[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun May 24 13:42:03 PDT 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009, Miller, Shao wrote:

> Very simple answer: The .ISO was created with Nero, and the HDD "image"
> is actually just enough to boot, then the rest of the sectors are on the
> rest of the .ISO.  Extracting just this truncated HDD "image" does not
> have everything in it.  Is has some of the files in the image's
> partition's root directory, but nothing in the Flash\ directory, plus
> some of the root files might be corrupted.  To _really_ extract this HDD
> image, do:
>
> dd if=6duj 08uc.iso of=thinibm.fat skip=108
>
> (108 is the HDD image's starting sector, 27, times 4 times as many
> 512-byte sectors in a 2048-byte ODD sector.)

Shao,

I extracted the image as explained in this thread using isobar or
geteltorito (both provide me with exactly the same image) _and_ the image
boots fine from Qemu so I don't think there is anything wrong with the
image at all.

If I compare both images, yours contains a series of nulls (about 317440).