[syslinux] Booting firmware harddisk image with memdisk fails

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon May 25 03:26:04 PDT 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009, colimit at gmail.com wrote:

>> I can only conclude that it has to do with a BIOS option or hardware
>> configuration that triggers a bug in memdisk. I went over a lot of BIOS
>> options, and changed some options that should not have any impact, to
>> no avail.
>>
>> Peter, do you have anything worthwhile to add that I can test ?
>>
>> The harddisk image I am testing comes from the type 4 eltorito ISO at:
>>
>> 	http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70348.html
>>
>> and can be extracted either with the isobar utility or with a patched
>> geteltorito script. (both come packaged with RPMforge)
>
> hi, I am the guy who made that isobar/geteltorito patch. Since you have
> an ultrabase, I assume that you've also decided not to go cheap with a
> regular harddrive and bought an SSD for your X200s. Did you try to put a
> regular SATA harddrive, and setting AHCI mode on/off in BIOS (I have it
> "On")? May be memdisk's hijacked INT13h has problems with accessing SSD?

I have an SSD and have AHCI on. I will try this evening to see if that is
the problem.

But if accessing the disk after memdisk is a problem, maybe it could be
useful to disable physical disks altogether with an option in memdisk. I
don't know how hard it is to do that, but it definitely would be useful.