[syslinux] Menus, choices and optional parameters

Luis.F.Correia Luis.F.Correia at seg-social.pt
Wed May 27 04:00:17 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm in need of creating a simple menu where two options must be available:

1) (default) Boot from local harddrive
2) start installation

2) option should display a simple text disclaimer and if agreed it then
would ask for a number from 32 to 254 which is then appended to one of
commandline parameters.

I have quite a lot of experience with [sys|pxe|iso]linux and some
programming skills.
We're currently using the simple graphical menu, where those two options
already exist although without the disclamer and the new question for the
user.

This is a snippet of our current ISOLINUX file:

label vesa
  menu label Iniciar a instalacao
  kernel vmlinuz
  append quiet initrd=initrd.img text acpi=off
ks=http://installserver/scripts/kickstart.php append noipv6

The end result we hope to achive is to make our kickstart installtion even
better by supplying an additional parameter to the dynamic kickstart.php
file.

Something along the lines of (the number 123 was provided by the user):

label vesa
  menu label Iniciar a instalacao
  kernel vmlinuz
  append quiet initrd=initrd.img text acpi=off
ks=http://installserver/scripts/kickstart.php?123 append noipv6

I humbly accept any insight or guidelines, and if we need to create some
code, my employer would be willing to provide that code back to the
community.

thank you in advance,
Luis Correia