[syslinux] pxelinux.bin (3.80) hanging at the beginning of menu.c32 TFTP transfer

Philippe Auphelle pauphelle at gmail.com
Thu May 28 00:16:26 PDT 2009

Geert,

>> Especial succes stories!

Sorry, just bad news :( :

I extracted pxelinux.bin and menu.c32 from Testing pre-16 and ran the
test. I unfortunately got a result that's quite similar to the one I
had with the 3.80 release:

The last activity pxelinux.bin displays is the transfer of the
"default" file ("Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default"). Looking at
the trace, that transfer is successful.

Then the client sends an TFTP RRQ for menu.c32, the TFTP server
ignores the option negociation and sends back a regular TFTP data
packet with a 516-byte payload (524-byte UDP, 544-byte IP, 558-byte
eNet), and at this point, the pxelinux client machine freezes.
WireShark doesn't report any kind of error on the reply data packet.
The server does 3 retries then gives up.
I have a WireShark-readable trace ready reflecting the problem.

Compared to my previous test with 3.80 release, the only (minor)
difference I see is that this time, the client hard freezes (i.e. Caps
log toggle or Ctrl-Alt-Del don't do anything anymore). Last time,
keyboard interrupt handling was still alive.

Philippe