[syslinux] Menus, choices and optional parameters

Luis Correia buga at loide.net
Thu May 28 08:43:26 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 16:30, Luis Correia <buga at loide.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 15:57, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> Luis.F.Correia wrote:
>>>
>>> My intention is starting up with the code from vesamenu (which is pretty),
>>> and add all needed code.
>>>
>>> But I've now seen that the menu code from Murali and the vesa have different
>>> structures.
>>
>> Yes, they are completely different.
>>
>> One of the things I'd like to see is complex menu switched to using the
>> com32 console subsystem (which would mean running it on top of the vesa
>> console should work, too) instead of raw BIOS calls.
>>
>>> Although it shouldn't be that hard to do, should I create a new folder under
>>> com32 and copy all files from there, adjusting what I need or do you have a
>>> better suggestion?
>>
>> For your own purposes, that should work... if you're intending to push
>> something upstream there needs to be a use case as well as some serious
>> architecture discussion.
>>
>>> On a related subject, are there any funcions to manipulate the append line
>>> that is passed?
>>
>> Not for simple menu.
>
> Well, in that case, I may opt for striping the menu system down to my
> personal needs, making the changes where needed.
>
> This would mean that my work cannot be pushed upstream.
> I do plan to publish it anyway, for examples of 'how not to do it'.
>
> Thanks for the insights.
>

>>        -hpa
>>

> Luis Correia

Meanwhile I though of a different approach to my particular problem.

I can create two menu configuration options, one without changing
anything at all to the append line.
The other one, when selected, should behave like TAB was pressed, thus
allowing the user to type something into the line.

With a strict instruction set, one could more or less ensure that the
users type just numbers, or else this installation is voided.

Being so, how can I force the user into edit mode after a particular
option is selected?

Luis Correia