[syslinux] pxelinux.bin (3.80) hanging at the beginning of menu.c32 TFTP transfer

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri May 29 01:21:22 PDT 2009

Op 20090528 om 09:16 schreef Philippe Auphelle:

> I extracted pxelinux.bin and menu.c32 from Testing pre-16 and ran the
> test. I unfortunately got a result that's quite similar to the one I
> had with the 3.80 release:
>
> The last activity pxelinux.bin displays is the transfer of the
> "default" file ("Trying to load: pxelinux.cfg/default"). Looking at
> the trace, that transfer is successful.
>
> Then the client sends an TFTP RRQ for menu.c32, the TFTP server
> ignores the option negociation and sends back a regular TFTP data
> packet with a 516-byte payload (524-byte UDP, 544-byte IP, 558-byte
> eNet), and at this point, the pxelinux client machine freezes.
> WireShark doesn't report any kind of error on the reply data packet.
> The server does 3 retries then gives up.
> I have a WireShark-readable trace ready reflecting the problem.

I willing to explore it with WireShark.
Send me ( and/or this mailinglist) where to download it.

> Compared to my previous test with 3.80 release, the only (minor)
> difference I see is that this time, the client hard freezes (i.e. Caps
> log toggle or Ctrl-Alt-Del don't do anything anymore). Last time,
> keyboard interrupt handling was still alive.
>
> Philippe

Cheers
Geert Stappers

P.S.

Providing (configuration)files on a webserver
so it is easy to reproduce the problem is a good thing
to get _your problem_  a more common problem.

P.P.S.

Having a common solution is much better then a common problem.