[syslinux] pxelinux.bin (3.80) hanging at the beginning of menu.c32 TFTP transfer

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri May 29 10:39:16 PDT 2009

Op 20090529 om 17:54 schreef Philippe Auphelle:
> Geert, Luis,

It is a mailinglist.
Meaning  1-to-many communication. As opposed to 1-to-1 communication.

Allow all people to read in the discussion order,
especial those who are reading the archive (after a websearch)

> I can now confirm that the very same freeze occurs when downloading
> and executing pxelinux.0

Mmmm...

> And BTW, I vaguely recall that this .0 trick was a convention that was
> used by the initial Intel PXE server implementation for implementing a
> two-phase network boot: The first (.0) NBP would implement a menu, and
> the next file would be the actual NBP doing the boot.But from the
> BOOTP, DHCP and PXE specs, this is a mere convention that I see
> nowhere enforced.
> There is nothing hardcoded in the PXE firmware nor anywhere else I can
> know of that imposes to follow that scheme. The name of the first NBP
> that PXE loads comes from either the filename BOOTP field or the DHCP
> 67 field, and after it's been opened by the TFTP server, the NBP name
> is not used much.

For what it is worth, I'm interrested to have original problem solved.

Right now is the status that pxelinux.0 chokes when it has to download menu.c32

But pxelinux.0 should be able to download menu.c32

    .... thinking ....

Right now _is assumed_ that the two DHCP servers are not causing trouble.

My advice is to reconfigure the network to 1 DHCP server.

Stappers