[syslinux] .ERROR: idle with IF=0 with 3.81 syslinux update.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun May 31 21:27:00 PDT 2009

On 31 May 2009 at 19:59, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 31 May 2009 19:59:46 -0700
From:           	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To:             	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] .ERROR: idle with IF=0 with 3.81 syslinux
update.
Send reply to:  	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
	<mailto:syslinux-
request at zytor.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:syslinux-request at zytor.com?subject=subscribe>

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> >
> > Applied the new patch against the original isolinux.asm, and it also
> > elimanates the error message.
> >

> Excellent; it conclusively identifies it as a BIOS bug; specifically
> your BIOS disables interrupts after interacting with the CD-ROM BIOS,
> most likely due to the "RET 2" bug that dates back to the original PC
> and which people keeps reintroducing, because it seems like a good idea..
>
> 	-hpa

But the question is, why did it work just fine with 3.80 and not with 3.81??
The BIOS is the latest version for this motherboard as I just confirmed with
the MSI web site.
American Megatrends Inc.
V3.A
09/29/2004
as reported by HDT.

I've used various versions of isolinux on these machines for years, and only
with the 3.81 did the error occur??

> --
> H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,896,968.5975 | EINSTEIN 2,569,741.4109 | ROSETTA
944,822.9588